Rivelin Valley Conservation Group
The Wolf Wheel mill dam is the largest in the valley still with open water and is maintained for recreational use. Overhanging oak trees on the far bank provide wonderful autumn colours.
Wolf Wheel was built in the early 1720s. The grinding room was probably the largest in the valley, and was used for grinding cutlery and razors. It was last recorded being used in 1930. The wheel pit is partly infilled and overgrown but some remains of the buildings can still be seen.
The footbridge across the river just downstream from Wolf Wheel marks an old cross-valley route from Dore to Bradfield. To the north the footpath climbs up a steep cobbled path to Rivelin Valley Road and to the south up the valleyside through fields to Manchester Road (A57).
Also known as: Rocher Wheel, Rocker Wheel.
Main trades: Cutlery and razor grinding.
Wolf Wheel was built in the early 1720s. In 1794, there were 11 trows with 16 men employed. By 1830 an iron overshot waterwheel (15 ft x 6 ft 8 in; c. 4.6 x 2 m) ran 17 table-knife trows and two razor trows, making it probably the largest grinding room in the valley.
James & Samuel Windle rented the mill from 1810–1852. In 1838 the Windles were in such disagreement over their business affairs that arbitrators were called in. Samuel subsequently sold his half of the mill to Joseph, who in 1852 sold the Wheel to the Sheffield Waterworks Company.
Wolf Wheel was last recorded as being used in 1930, but the pentrough and shuttles were reported in good working order in 1934.
The stone bridge that crosses the overflow was built in 1967 and in 2005 Sheffield City Council reinforced the dam wall alongside the river, to help prevent erosion and potential collapse.
* Labelled by Picture Sheffield as “Unidentified grinding works possibly at Wolf Wheel, Rivelin” but comparison with the image of the grinding room above would suggest that they are the same building.