Rivelin Valley Conservation Group
The block-stone weir is in poor condition at the south side. The short head goit is culverted under the path by the weir and joined here by the tail goit from Rivelin Corn Mill (next upstream), which is carried in a tunnel underneath Rails Road. The small mill dam is silted and overgrown, with a stream flowing through.
Few traces of the buildings remain and the fall of water at the wheel pit has reduced from 12 ft (c. 3.6 m) to around 5 ft (c. 1.5 m) due to infilling with debris. The small overflow is alongside the wheel pit and the stonework of both is still in a fair condition. The water from the overflow now joins the water flowing into the wheel pit and runs directly into the head goit of the Second Coppice Wheel. At one time the overflow and tail goit would have run separately, with the water from the overflow running into a culvert under the path and flowing into the head goit lower down – this culvert can still be seen.
Just above the Upper Coppice weir stands the Grade II listed Packhorse Bridge, which is only about 1 m wide and with walls 60 cm high. This dates from about 1775 and carried the packhorse track from Crosspool to Stannington. Look for the iron clamps holding the stones along the top together.
Look out for the cast-iron mill marker commissioned by the RVCG and designed by Sheffield sculptor Roger Gibson to represent various aspects of the valley – a wheel is mounted on a plinth that depicts a seed-pod emerging from the ground, with flowing water cascading downwards over weirs. Four markers were installed in the valley in 2007: the marker here depicts a spoon, the marker at Hind Wheel a fork, that at Walkley Bank Tilt a scythe blade and at Rivelin Corn Mill an ear of corn.
More images are coming soon!!