Rivelin Valley Conservation Group and Ruskin In Sheffield LogoNew Dam

Rivelin Valley Conservation Group

What's there now?

The drained mill dam is well-wooded and has a stream flowing through. The weir, now marked by the Rivelin Chair sculpture (see below), is in poor condition. Water enters the short head goit at an inlet marked by massive stone blocks beside the footpath. Walk up the slope a short distance and look back to see grooves in the stonework for the wooden boards of the shuttle gate that used to control water flow into the head goit. The stone blocks and the original shuttle mechanism can be seen in a photo on the History page.

At the eastern end of the mill dam, the footpath crosses a small metal bridge over the overflow from New Dam; water from the stream flows out of the dam at the deep drainage level and drops steeply into the river via a very short channel. Look over the railing (on the mill dam side) and straight down to see grooves in the stones on either side of the channel at the deep drainage level – these are guides for the shuttle gate, which could be raised to drain the water out of the dam for maintenance. Just to the right of the overflow are the remains of the sluice that controlled the flow of water into the tunnel to Spooners Wheel mill dam.

From the south side of the river can be seen the remains of two foot bridges built in the early 20th century for better access to the swimming pool. On the north bank of the river, two short lines of Privet bushes border a path from the edge of the remains of the eastern-most bridge. This marks the location of the turnstile for the swimming pool. By the 1970s, the bridges were in a poor state of repair and were removed.

Image of New Dam weir

The New Dam weir is in poor condition. The stone blocks and the original shuttle mechanism on the head goit inlet can be seen in a photo on the History page. Photo: Sue Shaw, March 2015.

Image of stone blocks beside the weir

Massive stone blocks beside the weir mark the inlet to the New Dam head goit. Photo: Sue Shaw May 2014.

Image of overflow from New Dam.

The overflow from New Dam into the river is crossed by the footpath on a small metal bridge. Photo: Sue Shaw May 2014.

Image of grill set into the bank.

A grill set into the bank marks the course of the tunnel that used to carry water from New Dam to Spooners mill dam. Photo: Sue Shaw, Feb 2016.

Image of remains of two bridges.

Remains of the easternmost of the two bridges that crossed the river built in about 1910 as access to the bathing pool. On the far side of the river are two lines of privet that lined the path to the turnstile. Photo: Sue Shaw, March 2015. .

Image of remains of two bridges.

Remains of the westernmost of the two bridges that crossed the river built in about 1910 as access to the bathing pool. Photo: Sue Shaw, March 2015.

RIVELIN CHAIR SCULPTURE

The Rivelin Chair sculpture sits on an island on the remains of the New Dam weir. The cast iron chair is crafted to appear like a seat made of coppice wood to reflect the thriving coppice industry that existed in the valley even before the watermills. It was designed and produced by local artist Jason Thomson who wanted to reflect other pieces of ironmongery around the valley left behind from the mills, and the twisted tree roots winding around the old dam walls. It was installed in June 2011, by Sheffield City Council.

Image of Rivelin Chair sculpture

Rivelin Chair Sculpture (installed in 2011). Photo: Joan Buckland, July 2014.


Other Mills
RVCG website