Rivelin Valley Conservation Group and Ruskin in Sheffield
Also known as: Kay Wheel, Marshall Wheel, New Wheel, Nether Cutford Wheel.
Main trades:Cutlery and scythe grinding.
Nether Cut Wheel, known as Marshall’s Wheel in 1726, is thought to have been built around 1719 and completely rebuilt around 1777. It originally ran four trows, but in 1794 had nine trows, employing 15 men. The mill suffered a rattening* incident in 1850 for using non-union labour – most of the mills in the valley used non-union labour but Nether Cut seems to have been singled out for special attention and was attacked on several occasions. The Sorby family leased the site for many years until 1920, when it moved into the hands of the Kay family who carried on grinding work for the Sorbys.
Nether Cut was the last mill in the valley to be worked by waterwheel; scythe grinding at one trow continued until at least 1939. The building was demolished as late as 1956 – all traces of it have been removed but the large mill dam has been preserved for fishing.
There was no weir, the mill dam being fed directly via the tail goit from Upper Cut, now running through a tunnel under Rivelin Valley Road. Water from the mill dam outfalls into the river in two places: (1) mostly over an overflow and down a narrow stone channel and (2) culverted beneath the slope and into the tail goit, which runs between the two paths to feed directly into the Little London mill dam near the weir.
*Rattening: a series of attacks on ‘blackleg’ establishments by a militant faction among the emerging Trade Unions: collectively known as ‘The Sheffield Outrages’. The attacks generally involved the removal of essential tools or items of equipment (often the driving bands of the grindstones) but in some cases escalated to arson and machine-breaking.
During the 1920's an artist's colony was based at the Rivelin Corn Mill, Nether Cut Wheel was one of the working mills during this time and an inspiration to the artists.