Rivelin Valley Conservation Group and Ruskin in Sheffield
Mousehole Forge dates back to at least 1628, when there were two lead mills, a farmhouse (part of the present house) and a small cutlery workshop. The lead mills were later converted to an iron forge and by the end of the 18th century Mousehole had become famous throughout the world for producing anvils, one of which can still be seen at Gretna Green. The forge closed in 1933 and fell into ruin until the 1980s, after which restoration work was carried out by the owners. Mousehole Forge is on private land, but some of the forge remains can still be seen from outside the gates. The huge oak log, over 22 ft long by nearly 3 ft in diameter, is the remains of a hammer helve.